These basic range safety rules have been developed to keep everyone safe at any range and will provide fundamentals that will prepare you for your visit. Each range may have them listed differently but all will have a version of them posted prominently. Always make sure to review the posted safety rules before you begin your shooting session. This set of rules is from the NRA.
- ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction. The safest place is at the backstop. At home, determine the safe direction and only use that when handling your guns for dry practice, cleaning, etc.
- ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
- ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.
Additional Safety Rules:
- Know your target and what is beyond it. There could be houses, people, machinery, etc. It’s your responsibility to know what is beyond your target.
- Know how to use the gun safely. Get a private lesson before you go to the range for the first time. At the range should not be the first time you handle your gun.
- Be sure your gun is safe to operate. Do a visual inspection to make sure everything looks right, no parts or take down pins are protruding, etc.
- Use only the correct ammunition for your gun. This is critical. Calibers are listed on the box, and the gun. Make sure they match.
- Wear eye and ear protection, even if just a spectator.
- Never use drugs or alcohol before or during shooting. This includes certain prescription drugs as well.
- Store guns so they are inaccessible to unauthorized persons.
- All of your weapons must be unloaded and safely encased before leaving the shooting bay.
- All minors must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian who will sign all documents and stay with them at all times.
- Be aware that certain types of guns and many shooting activities require additional safety precautions.
This is a short set of rules that is easy to remember and follow. There are several more ancillary rules to learn about as you progress more with your firearm. These rules are always followed on our private range facility. Need a refresher on the safety rules with firearms? No problem, we have a complete list of classes to help with that and those can be seen right here.